Friday, September 01, 2006

Take Off, eh!

We just got back from a visit to the Great White North. (I mean that figuratively and literally.) We had a visit with the in-laws. They live in western New York state. VERY western New Nork. Lots of trees and water (and toxic waste). Good times. It's absolutely beautiful up there. My in-laws live right on Lake Ontario. You can see Toronto from their backyard. We actually boated across to Toronto once.

My brother-in-law (we'll call him K-dog) docks his boat at a marina just above "The Falls". That's right, Niagara Freakin' Falls. Normally, when we've gone out, we've gone to the river below the Falls. Nice and safe. No fear of plummeting to our death should the motor poop out. Now, there's a whole new fear factor to boating with K-dog.

My little guy got to spend some quality time with his grandparents and cousins. We got to see our 4 nephews, sisters-in-law and brothers-in-law. The D-man and I even got to spend an entire day sans child. We don't get to do that often. It was wonderful. We went to a little town called Niagara-on-the-lake. Beautiful, quaint little town. Had some lunch and some wine and a prailine the size of my head. It was amazing. We did a quick drive-by of the Falls (I make the D-man take me there every time we're there.), did a little shopping (duty free = cheap beer), did a little outlet shopping (alas, no new Liz Claiborne purse this year) and just hung out. Got to talk and hold hands and be goofy kids again. It was great. Got the boy a shirt that read "Moosely Canadian". Appropriate b/c D-man was born Canadian. Get it?!

My sister-in-law (D-man's sister) even cooked a "Thanksgiving" dinner the day before we left. It's good to see them. D-man's sister's husband (we'll call him Ranger)is going through a particularly rough time. He's a teacher and having to deal with some dirty politics from the power-hungry school board and a psychotic board member who stalks them. It's ugly. Ranger is a good and honest man. Hopefully, this will all work out. They are considering moving, which I find upsetting b/c they are being forced out, it's not their own choice. It sucks. Bad school board. Bad!

All in all it was a good trip, but I'm glad to be back in my own bed. We'll be see my mother and father-in-law in January when they come to stay for a visit. I'd better get my list ready. They like to fix things when they come down. I just wish they would come in May...we have lots of outdoor projects to do. New fence, new porch, pressure washing...the list goes on and on.

No comments: